Olenina Ludmila Vladimirovna | Institute of Molecular Genetics
Doctor of Philosophy (Biology)
without academic rank
Division of IMG:
Laboratory of biochemical genetics of animals
Main research interests
The main research field is a process of germinal tissue development on the Drosophila model, including a study of the mechanisms of germline stem cells maintenance and self-renewal. A mapping of the promoter of the tandem testis-specific Stellate genes was performed and cis-regulatory regions (E-boxes) was identified. Stellate protein was found in a soluble form of the protein in the nucleoplasm and was found that it contained lysine trimethylation mark. A large nuage-associated organelle in the testes, (piRNA nuage giant body) was discovered in primary spermatocytes. The piNG-body is responsible for compartmentalization of piRNA pathway components and for post-transcriptional piRNA-mediated silencing of stellate genes in the testes. The molecular functions of germinal RNA helicases (Vasa, Belle and Spn-E) that are essential for the process of oogenesis and spermatogenesis, are investigated. It is shown that RNA helicase Belle (DDX3) is essential intrinsically for germline stem cell maintenance and division in the testes.
3 scientists obtained PhD degrees (candidates of sciences) under LV Olenina`s supervision:
- K.S. Egorova (2010) “Study of expression and protein-protein interactions of Stellate protein in the testes of Drosophila melanogaster”.
- M.V. Kibanov (2011) “Molecular characterization of germ granule involved in the repression of Stellate repeats in the testes of Drosophila melanogaster”.
- O.M. Olenkina (2015) “Transcriptional regulation of testis-specific Stellate gene clusters in Drosophila melanogaster”.
Supervision of graduate students:
- A.A. Kotov. Lomonosov Moscow State University Biochemistry department. Diploma work: “Influence of RNA helicase Vasa by on RNA silencing and maintenance of germ cells in the testes of Drosophila melanogaster”.
- G.A.Nosov. Lomonosov Moscow State University Biochemistry department. Diploma work: The essential function of CPEB Orb 2protein in the spermatogenesis regulation of Drosophila melanogaster”.
- Olenina LV, Kuzmina TI, Sobolev BN, Kuraeva TE, Kolesanova EF, Archakov AI. Identification of glycosaminoglycan-binding sites within hepatitis C virus envelope glycoprotein E2. J Viral Hepat. 2005 12(6):584-593.
- Boris N. Sobolev, Ludmila V. Olenina, Ekaterina F. Kolesanova, Vladimir V. Poroikov, Alexander I. Archakov. Computer design of vaccines. Approaches, software tools and informational resources. Current Computer-Aided Drug Design 2005 1:207-222.
- Egorova KS, Olenkina OM, Kibanov MV, Kalmykova AI, Gvozdev VA, Olenina LV. Genetically derepressed nucleoplasmic Stellate protein in spermatocytes of D.melanogaster interacts with the catalytic subunit of protein kinase 2 and carries histone-like lysine-methylated mark. J Mol Biol. 2009 389(5):895-906.
- Kotelnikov RN, Klenov MS, Rozovsky YM, Olenina LV, Kibanov MV, Gvozdev VA. Peculiarities of piRNA-mediated post-transcriptional silencing of Stellate repeats in testes of Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 37(10):3254-3263.
- Egorova KS, Olenkina OM, Olenina LV. Lysine methylation of nonhistone proteins is a way to regulate their stability and function. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2010 75(5):535-548.
- Gervaziev YV, Olenina LV, Krasotkina JV, Lupatov AY, Mazurina SA, Gervazieva VB. Oct-1 is responsible for the C-33T polymorphism effect in the IL-4 promoter. Int J Immunogenet. 2010 37(1):13-20.
- Kibanov MV, Egorova KS, Ryazansky SS, Sokolova OA, Kotov AA, Olenkina OM, Stolyarenko AD, Gvozdev VA, Olenina LV. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011 22(18):3410-3419.
- Olenkina OM, Egorova KS, Aravin AA, Naumova NM, Gvozdev VA, Olenina LV. Mapping of cis-regulatory sites in the promoter of testis-specific Stellate genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2012 77(11):1285-1293.
- Kibanov MV, Gvozdev VA, Olenina LV. Germ granules in spermatogenesis of Drosophila: Evidences of contribution to the piRNA silencing. Commun Integr Biol. 2012 5(2):130-133.
- Olenkina OM, Egorova KS, Kibanov MV, Gervaziev YV, Gvozdev VA, Olenina LV. Promoter contribution to the testis-specific expression of Stellate gene family in Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2012 499(1):143-153.
- Ksenia S. Egorova, Oxana M. Olenkina, Ludmila V. Olenina. Significance of Stellate genes in spermatogenesis of Drosophila melanogaster. In: Drosophila melanogaster: life cycle, genetics and development. Red M.Spindler-Barth, Nova Science publishers, 2012, p. 39-61.
- Kibanov MV, Kotov AA, Olenina LV. Multicolor fluorescence imaging of whole-mount Drosophila testes for studying spermatogenesis. Anal Biochem. 2013 436(1):55-64.
- Nosov GA, Kibanov MV, Olenina LV. Dynamic properties of germinal granule piNG-body in the testes of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2014 48(5):805-813.
- Kotov AA, Akulenko NV, Kibanov MV, Olenina LV. Dead-box RNA helicases in animal gametogenesis. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2014 48(1):22-35.
- Kotov AA, Olenkina OM, Kibanov MV, Olenina LV. RNA helicase Belle (DDX3) is essential for male germline stem cell maintenance and division in Drosophila. BBA - Molecular Cell Research. 2016 doi: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2016.02.006. [Epub ahead of print]