Kuzmenko Anton Viktorovich | Institute of Molecular Genetics
Doctor of Philosophy (Biology)
without academic rank
Division of IMG:
Laboratory of RNA biology and epigenetics
Main research interests
The main works are devoted to the study of mitochondrial translation on the model system of budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
2010-2011. A study of the diffusion characteristics of the main channel-forming protein of the polypeptide import complex in the outer mitochondrial membrane (Tom40p) by the SPT microscopy (Single Particle Tracking Microscopy).
2011-2017. A series of works in which S. cerevisiae mitochondrial translation initiation factor 3 (the protein Aim23p) was first discovered and characterized. It has been experimentally shown that Aim23p is not a classical translation initiation factor, and acts as an activator for a number of mitochondrial RNAs, and also appears to be involved in the coordination of complex V assembly of the electron transport chain.
2010 - present: Junior Researcher, Department of Molecular Biology, Biological Faculty, M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Supervisor of 2 bachelor's theses.
Awards, achievements, memberships
M.V.Lomonosov Moscow State University stipend for young teachers and scientists (Russia, 2015)
O.V.Deripaska award for talented students, graduate students and young scientist of Moscow State University (Russia, 2013)
- Kuzmenko, A., Derbikova, K., Salvatori, R., Tankov, S., Atkinson, G. C., Tenson, T., Ott, M., Kamenski, P., and Hauryliuk, V. (2016) Aim-less translation: loss of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial translation initiation factor mIF3/Aim23 leads to unbalanced protein synthesis. Scientific reports 6, 18749
- Kuzmenko, A., Derbikova, K., Hauryliuk, V., and Kamenski, P. (2015) Aim23 is an yeast mitochondrial translation initiation factor 3 which is unnecessary for protein synthesis. Yeast 32, S192-S193
- Kuzmenko, A., Atkinson, G. C., Levitskii, S., Zenkin, N., Tenson, T., Hauryliuk, V., and Kamenski, P. (2014) Mitochondrial translation initiation machinery: conservation and diversification. Biochimie 100, 132-140
- Atkinson, G. C., Kuzmenko, A., Chicherin, I., Soosaar, A., Tenson, T., Carr, M., Kamenski, P., and Hauryliuk, V. (2014) An evolutionary ratchet leading to loss of elongation factors in eukaryotes. BMC evolutionary biology 14, 35
- Kuzmenko, A. V., Levitskii, S. A., Vinogradova, E. N., Atkinson, G. C., Hauryliuk, V., Zenkin, N., and Kamenski, P. A. (2013) Protein biosynthesis in mitochondria. Biochemistry. Biokhimiia 78, 855-866
- Atkinson, G. C., Kuzmenko, A., Kamenski, P., Vysokikh, M. Y., Lakunina, V., Tankov, S., Smirnova, E., Soosaar, A., Tenson, T., and Hauryliuk, V. (2012) Evolutionary and genetic analyses of mitochondrial translation initiation factors identify the missing mitochondrial IF3 in S. cerevisiae. Nucleic acids research 40, 6122-6134
- Kuzmenko, A., Tankov, S., English, B. P., Tarassov, I., Tenson, T., Kamenski, P., Elf, J., and Hauryliuk, V. (2011) Single molecule tracking fluorescence microscopy in mitochondria reveals highly dynamic but confined movement of Tom40. Scientific reports 1, 195